CWC Joint Board Meeting Minutes
April 08, 2022
CWC Activities Cooperative
Joint Board Meeting
A meeting of the Board of Education of Chambers Public School and Wheeler Central Public School was convened in open and public session on April 4, 2022 in the gymnasium at Chambers Public School, 201 S. A Street, Chambers, Nebraska. The roll was called, and the following Board members were present: Terry Kamphaus, Matt Ehlers, Mark Dexter, Terry Kamphaus, Monte Metschke, Drew Kasselder, Adam Freouf, Jerilee Wright, Jessie Swick and Dennis Derner. Also present were Frank Jesse, Superintendent, Rod Olson, Superintendent/Principal, Steve Gleisberg, Principal, and Brady Firley, AD.
Notice of the meeting was given in advance by publication on the Chambers Public School’s website on March 28, 2022, Wheeler Central School’s website on March 29, 2022 and thereafter in the Chambers Shopper on March 30, 2022 in accordance with the Board approved method for giving notice of meetings. Notice of this meeting was given in advance to all members of the Board of Education. Availability of the agenda was communicated in the publicized notice and a current copy of the agenda was maintained as stated in the publicized notice. All proceedings of the Board of Education, except as may be hereinafter noted, were taken while the convened meeting was open to the attendance of the public.
The meeting was called to order by Presidents Terry Kamphaus and Drew Kasselder at 7:02p.m. Motion by Matt Ehlers, seconded by Mark Dexter to excuse the absence of Amy Scott. Motion carried. 5-0. Aye: Dexter, Dougherty, Ehlers, Kamphaus, Metschke. Nay: 0 Amy Scott absent. Motion by Jerilee Wright, seconded by Adam Freouf to excuse the absence of Susan Patrick. Motion by Jerilee Wright, seconded by Adam Freouf to excuse the absence of Dennis Derner. Motion carried, 4-0. Aye: Freouf, Kasselder, Swick, Wright. Nay: 0. Susan Patrick and Dennis Derner absent.
Announcement of Open Meetings Act Posting
At the beginning of this meeting, the Chair announced and informed the public that a current copy of the Open Meetings Act is posted on the east railing in the gym.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
Communication from the Public
Each speaker was required to sign in and asked to limit their comments to 5 minutes or less.
- No public comment
- Review of CWC Activity Accounts and Cooperative Accounts.
- Activity summary given with expenditures and revenue through March 31, 2022
- Recommend each school contribute $5000.00 to CWC Activity Fund this spring.
- New tent purchased for Track
- Uniform Rotation
- Coach Ginter looking at Volleyball uniform options from BSN Sports in Ord.
- Per the Subcommittee they will leave it up to the coach and team to decide on the shorts. Coach Ginter expressed opinion that spandex shorts are most effective but must be the right fit and is open to having them be longer.
Dennis Derner arrived at 7:15pm.
- Phillip Metschke spoke about the balance of activity drives. Currently Chambers has less than 20% of the activity drives due to the location of games and meets.
- Proposed that anything east of Hwy 281 would have Chambers drive, either meeting a Wheeler van at Chambers Corner, Miller’s Corner or going to Bartlett to pick up team. Wheeler would continue to drive for those activities that are northwest, and Chambers would continue to drive for activities south.
- The Activity Directors and Transportation Directors will work together to make the driving as fair as possible.
- 2022-2023 Coaching Contracts
- Head Varsity Football Alex Hubenka
- Assistant Varsity Football Brady Firley
- Assistant Varsity Football Micah Dexter
- Head Varsity Volleyball Amber Ginter
- Assistant Varsity Volleyball Jace Forker
- Head Cross Country (7-12) Ashley Harrison
- *Assistant Cross Country Derek Mahony
- Head Junior High Football Luke Andrew
- Assistant Junior High Football Waiting to hear from possible candidate
- Head Junior High Volleyball Waiting to hear from possible candidate
- Head Varsity Boys Basketball Luke Andrew
- Assistant Varsity Boys Basketball Waiting to hear from possible candidate
- Head Varsity Girls Basketball Brady Firley
- Assistant Varsity Girls Basketball Jace Forker
- Head Junior High Boys Basketball Zane Patrick
- Assistant Junior High Boys Basketball Brendan Pelster
- Head Junior High Girls Basketball Andrea Pelster
- Assistant Junior High Girls Basketball Waiting to determine if assistant coach needed.
- Head Varsity Track Ashley Harrison
- Assistant Varsity Track: Luke Andrew
- Assistant Track (7-12) Derek Mahony
- Head Junior High Track May be filled by combination of current track staff
- Head Varsity Golf Taylor Stech
- Cheerleading Sponsor Discussing possible candidate
*If there are 12 or participants
Possibly 2-3 Wheeler girls interested in Cheer, additional coach or practice together?
Discussed possibility of 2 Cross Country coaches to save money on transportation and practices could be on-site. Boards will look at what is financially beneficial.
- 2022-2023 CWC Handbooks
- Mr. Olson, Mr. Jesse, and Mr. Firley did not see need for any changes, just updating dates.
- CWC Sports Banquet
- May 2, 2022 at Chambers Gymnasium at 7:00pm, cookies and drinks
- Cheer Team will be included in Sports Banquet
Other topics discussed:
- CWC Youth Athletic Club – not associated with the schools and neither is financially responsible. Currently the youth football will compete K-2 and 3-4 in flag football league and 5-6 in tackle. Working on getting baseball, basketball and volleyballs programs going.
- CWC Booster Club – in the beginning stages, would like to work together with schools and communities to increase morale and school spirit.
Motion was made by Monte Metschke, seconded by Travis Dougherty and Dennis Derner, seconded by Jerilee Wright to adjourn the meeting at 7:51p.m. on April 4, 2022. Motion carried, 10-0. Amy Scott and Susan Patrick absent. The meeting was duly adjourned.
Next Joint Board Meeting